- Raising productivity
- Improving competitiveness in both domestic and export markets
- Opening up new markets
- Responding effectively to consumer trends.
Governments must back the innovative capacity of Australian manufacturers through R&D tax incentives and accelerated capital depreciation to maintain and enhance the industry’s competitiveness. The AFGC strongly supports enhanced collaboration between researchers and industry; improved industry technical capabilities especially SMEs; assistance with information failures related to supply chains; improve insights (especially for Asia) and increasing the attractiveness of Australian for foreign investment in R&D.
The Food and Agribusiness Growth Centre – Food Innovation Australia Ltd – continues to provide and effective platform to build on Australia’s comparative advantages in the food processing sector including:
- Skilled workforce and strength in R&D
- Well established multinational companies and an agile and innovative SME cohort
- High quality food safety and hygiene systems
- Proximity and familiarity with growing Asian markets
- Proximity to high quality “clean and green produce
- Advance marketing and design expertise.