Product Information Form (PIF) – Version 6
Introducing the AFGC Authorised Food Data System – the home of PIF V6.0 and just the beginning of the tools AFGC are developing to help industry turn data into information.
Look out for this logo which is available exclusively to our approved PIF V6.0 vendors.
PIF V6.0 is the first tool in the AFGC Authorised Food Data System portfolio.
What is the PIF?
The Product Information Form (PIF) is an industry-agreed questionnaire originally developed by the food industry, for the food industry, in Australia and New Zealand. The PIF is intended to be used by companies to provide a wide variety of information about food products and ingredients in a single document that meets the information needs for legal and regulatory compliance.
PIF helps companies obtain information needed to meet the obligations of regulations and industry codes with regard to foods and food ingredients in a consistent and standardised manner.
PIF is an industry tool that can improve company efficiency and reliability in managing product specification and other related data when applied across the sector.
Introducing PIF V6.0
In the period since the PIF was last reviewed there have been a number of changes in Australian and New Zealand laws and regulations that impact on the content of the PIF. In addition, the Excel platform is no longer capable of delivering the functionality expected by users and the flexibility in data management required.
The PIF has undergone a makeover and PIF V6.0 or ePIF will be launched in July 2017.
PIF V6.0 will feature updated content and is being translated to business-to-business software solutions to replace the current stand-alone Excel spreadsheet. PIF V6.0 has been developed to streamline the process of recording and reporting product information via secure online portals, making it easier and faster to use.
PIF V6.0 is no longer a “one size fits all” and will feature options for:
- Ingredients; and
- Retail Ready products.
Each of these variations provide differing levels of detail.
The content covered by PIF V6.0 retains and builds on PIF V5 and includes:
- Ingredient declaration breakdown;
- Country of Origin to meet the new requirements which come into effect in July 2018;
- Allergen and food safety declarations – including ANZ and International allergens and information to support VITAL®;
- Pre-market clearance – GM and Novel foods;
- Quarantine and biosecurity;
- Nutrition Information;
- Nutrition, health and related claims;
- Front of pack labelling – Health Star Rating Labelling (voluntary) and Daily Intake;
- Certification and Endorsement information;
- Shelf life;
- Traceability information;
- Measurement marking;
- Potential safety hazards.
Benefits of PIF V6.0
- PIF V6.0 has been developed to address the various shortcomings of the previous PIF platform – the Excel spreadsheet.
- PIF V6.0 streamlines the process of recording and reporting product information, making it easier and faster to use. There will be no longer be a need to retype information from Supplier and Customer PIFs into company systems as the information will be able to be exchanged between companies via PIF portals.
- Information stored in a company’s PIF portal will be searchable, enabling much better use of data than is possible with the current standalone, Excel PIFs.
- Completed PIFs will be exchanged between companies direct from portal to portal without the need to convert PIFs to pdfs and send them as email attachments.
Where can I get PIF V6.0?
The AFGC is pleased to announce Bizcaps Software as the first PIF V6.0 solution providers.
The Australian Food and Grocery Council’s Director of Legal and Regulatory, Chris Preston, welcomed Bizcaps as the AFGC’s first partner to deliver the AFGC’s Electronic Food Data System.
Hamilton-Grant and Oak Barrell Software have also recently come on board as PIF V6.0 solution providers.
PIF V6.0 User Guide
The PIF V6.0 User Guide is a detailed guide on how to complete the data required in the PIF.
What is next?
FIF and PaSS
The AFGC has commenced work on the development of a complementary Facility Information Form (FIF) and a Packaging Specification System (PaSS). Both of these initiatives will run off the same platform as PIF, further streamlining the communication of necessary information and data throughout the supply chain.
Further information and updates will be provided as these projects progress.
How do I keep up to date on PIF V6.0?
If you have questions about the PIF we’d like to hear from you. Please drop an email to the dedicated PIF email inbox (PIF@afgc.org.au) or consider joining the PIF email group by dropping a line to the PIF email.
PIF Version 6.0 – Frequently Asked QuestionsAFGC-PIF-Review-QandA-July-2017.pdf (pdf - 817 KB)
Fiona Fleming, Advisor, Policy and Regulation