Trade and Economics
The Trade and Economics division engages with regulators, government officials and agencies to advocate and influence economic policies that promote sustainable economic growth across the industry.
The division focuses on areas that impact productivity, competition and market efficiencies, including:
- Agriculture polices and regulation
With nearly a quarter of all food and grocery products manufactured in Australia now being exported to overseas markets, the AFGC advocates for the sector on a range of international trade issues, and offers members education, information and services to improve their access to overseas markets. For example, in 2018 we published the AFGC China Access Industry Guide which provides an overview and scope of what is required to secure sustainable China market access for food exports.
WHAT WE DO
- Consult with government on all economics and trade issues that impact the industry.
- Provide policy input to key decision making forums on government policy.
- Advocate, educate and promote the relevance of the industry to the overall economic performance of the nation to government and regulators.
- Highlight and raise key issues that are impacting the competiveness and sustainability of the industry with key policy makers and parliament members
- Ensure members interests are represented and protected in all trade negotiations and international trade policies.
- Help government to promote industry capabilities across international markets.
- Educate and support members on trade-related matters.
Shalini Valecha, Manager Trade & Economics