The food and beverage, grocery and fresh produce industry is:
- A major contributor to the Australian economy – generates sales and service income of $108.4 billion annually
- Australia’s largest manufacturing sector – 26 per cent of total manufacturing
- A major employer - Contributing $13.56 billion in 2008-09 in aid wages and salaries
- Employing 3 per cent of the Australian workforce - 312,907 people in 2010-11
- Employing a larger number of people than the mining and transport equiptment manufacturing industries combined and contributed to 32.7 per cent of all manufacturing industry jobs
- The primary purpose for 5,111 enterprises, which turned over $86.5 billion in 2008-09
- A leading exporter -Food and beverage, grocery and fresh produce exports account for 26.1 per cent of all manufacturing sector exports, however, imports exceeded industry exports by $2.7 billion
- A leading innovator - $368 million spent on research and development in 2008-09.
For more information, click on the link below to download a copy our State of the Industry 2011 report.
Download previous editions of our State on the Industry Report
The OCED has released their FAO Agricultural Outlook - 2011-2020. Click on the link below to download.